Rush Hour

Category: By stephen
the car slid, and halted...
slid, and halted...
down and down the highway...
like a goldfish bowl in an
earthquake.

he scraped his fingernails
along the steering wheel:
an engineer's joke,
he thought.

we have no more control over where we're going
than we have over how fast we get there.

traffic ebbed, traffic flowed.

the floating excrement
of carbon fumes and
talk show radio waves
flooded his gills.

meanwhile, he grazed
the empty seat beside him,
as pristine as a newly planted
plastic castle.

It would be nice, he thought,
for a playful hand to poke at mine.
while I was shifting gears.

...to distract me.
 

2 comments so far.

  1. Mig March 21, 2008 at 1:18 AM
    I challenge you to a slam poetry battle to commence..... NOW!!!!
  2. Kimberly Robin March 21, 2008 at 11:24 AM
    I have been sick, and away from the internet. I just now indulged myself in your poetry, and as always... loved it. :)

Something to say?