Serial Comma

Category: By stephen
I'm having a crisis of faith.

For a year now, I have been a disciple of the gospel according to Strunk and White. Their book The Elements of Style is the only reference book a writer needs. But in the last week, I've seen one of their precious beatitudes violated so many times, I am starting to wonder if the world of grammar is spiraling into apostasy.

Verily, I speak of the serial comma.

The serial comma is the comma that appears after the second to last item in a list. For instance, in the sentence "I had ham, eggs, and toast for breakfast", the comma after "eggs" is the serial comma. According to The Elements of Style, the presence of this serial comma is a necessity.

But at work, as I've edited missions statements, press releases, and website copy—hey, there's one right there for you—I have noticed a perturbing lack of serial commas in the published world. My former deity is effervescing into a cloud of doubt. It's like learning Santa isn't real.

I would have dismissed all this, except that as I went to the bank today, I saw this emblazoned above the teller windows: "Savings, Checking & Loans."

What the eff?

Here's the truth about serial commas, and also a revelation of how stupid and obsessed we English majors can be: there is no consensus on the serial comma. Some use it; some don't. I, however, find it a comfortable distinction. So I will continue to use it with pride, confidence, and self-assurance.

Boo-yah, mo' fo's.
 

2 comments so far.

  1. Kimberly April 1, 2008 at 12:23 PM
    Oh, goodness, me too!!! It is one of my pet peeves and I correct it/add it in everything I edit for both of my secretarial jobs. Sentences make so much more sense with it! Thank you for this blog. Now I know I'm not the only one.
  2. therecoveringstoic April 7, 2008 at 8:52 AM
    Strunk and White are idiots. I used to use Serial Commas religiously, until I realized that no one else did, and Microsoft Word likes it when you DON'T use them.

    Who am I to argue with Microsoft? They're perfect!

Something to say?